Friday, February 21, 2014

It's a small world, after all!

Have you ever just stopped and considered how connected you are to the people around you?

http://www.sstte.org/6/post/2013/10/session-2-what-is-globalization.html
My mother always told me, "Be careful what you say, you never know who's listening." What she should have ended that statement with was, "because you never know who's related!" I have made the mistake of having a, let's say, strong opinion about someone and voicing said opinion only to realize someone in my audience was a relative of that person. Awkward.

The world is a very small place and don't let anyone convince you otherwise. The 7 Degrees of Kevin Bacon is ridiculous.

Globalization is what makes the world such a small place. When countries interact, pieces of the cultures are spread and become intertwined. Throughout my lifetime, I have seen globalization through the internet, the expansion of imported goods/outsourcing, and my own travels abroad.

The internet has helped make the world a more compact society. Whether its Facebook, Twitter, or Instagram you can connect with people from anywhere in the world. How insane is it to know that your video of your dog doing some stupid trick could get a like from someone in Australia? With search engines like Google, information is literally at your fingertips. The possibilities of things you can research is endless.

I have also noticed the expansion of Globalization in the increased imports we buy from other countries. It has become a hot button issue how much we buy from other countries. With the economy being as bad as it has been for the last few years, companies have had to find ways to cut costs. Those ways included outsourcing jobs to countries with cheaper labor and finding companies to buy products from at a cheaper price. 

My own travels have led to my exposure to Globalization. I have been able to see other cultures first hand. I have had to interact with new people, new languages, and new climates. The video World Without Walls, talks about  "McDomination" which I have to say I have participated in. I ate at a McDonalds in New Delhi and Madrid. I hate to admit it because what is the point in traveling if you are going to eat at a McDonalds. Sometimes, though, you just need a taste of home. Because of Globalization, I got to indulge in comforts of home.

I don't see why there are even opponents of Globalization. I think it is a wonderful tool! What's funny is how people want to act like it's a new thing. Like the Globalization 101 article says, Globalization has been around for thousands of years, since the silk and spice trade routes in Asia during the Middle Ages. It is far from being a new idea. 

4 comments:

  1. Funny you mentioned the degrees of separation, I just had explained that to my husband. How we are so "connected" to one another. I believe that a huge problem with globalization is some countries use of children and "sweat shops" to insure the lowest manufacturing cost, so as to have the advantage when exporting. I will pay a little bit more for products made in the US for that reason.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my god I love degrees of separation!!!

    Oh and yeah, Mickey D is everywhere. When I was in China I finally caved in and ate some on my last day. I just REALLY missed eating cheese T_T

    I agree with you that I don't see globalization as a "negative" thing, i mean it is making the world more connected!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I thought it is cool how you are able to contribute on how you feel about this because you have been out of the country before! I would have done the same thing when you talked about eating at the McDonalds. Having a different culture is wonderful, but when you get to have or taste a little bit of home is wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree with Abby. It is cool to hear from other people who have been out of the country. I'm glad to hear the McDonalds will be within reach. I want to learn more about the foods and culture of Ireland and Scotland, but I also need my burgers and fries.

    ReplyDelete