Sunday, March 9, 2014

She said YES!

Our cultural lenses are the glasses we wear when we are deciding how to interpret situations. It elicits the automatic response we have acquired from our environment on what is socially acceptable. If we have lenses that are culturally fluent and understand the differences among groups of people, our interactions will go smoothly. If we can only see the way we think and act, we have a greater chance for misunderstandings and strong emotionally based reactions.

I think the greatest reason Americans avoid traveling abroad is the answer to the question, "Why?" Fear and cost are big contenders, but I think they are more easily overcome than the psychological factor. As Americans, 'we got it good.' We enjoy several amazing liberties that most people do not. For one, we have our freedom. We can say what we want about who we want when we want and not get penalized just for voicing our opinion. We have the opportunity to worship who/what we want and the ability to further our education in the path we so desire.

Other countries do not share these rights and privileges. So, why should people leave? It's like going wedding dress shopping. Once you have found "the one", you stop looking. For most Americans, home is "the one." There is no reason to go looking for something better. After my two trips abroad, I have had people, sounding almost disgusted, asking me why I left in the first place. It was not even a figment of their imagination to WANT to adventure somewhere besides Arkansas. Don't get me wrong, I looooove my home state; it is beautiful! I just have a hunger for traveling. I realize there is a great big world out there ready to be explored. 

But, for most, home is perfect and there is no reason to wander. They are perfectly content sipping their sweet tea in their small town enjoying the beautiful view of the lake. That is just wonderful, just not for me. 






1 comment:

  1. I really enjoyed your article! I have had many people tell me there was no point to leave the United States because we are the best. Ethnocentrism at it's finest.

    ReplyDelete